Experience 3 Years
LH010 Coast Guard Assistant (1 position)
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Availability: As soon as possible
Post Category: Assistant
Group Classification: 3
Reporting Line: The Coast Guard Assistant will be under the direct supervision of Strategic Maritime Adviser / Head of Maritime Security and Coast Guard Unit and will report to him/her.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To maintain regular contacts with SLCG, local authorities, governmental organizations, nongovernmental organizations or other external counterparts where it concerns the execution of the Mission Mandate in order to collect and disseminate information;
· To coordinate activities, resources, equipment and information flow between SLCG and EUCAP;
· To establish and maintain cooperation with the authorities of the maritime law enforcement services on the development of training programs on maritime security matters including IUU fishing;
· To assess the functioning, organisation management capacity skills and needs of the Somaliland Coast Guard and advise on improvements;
· To ensure timely reporting on activities within the field of responsibility as per planning documents, in particular progress and/or lack of progress;
· To accompany EUCAP Advisers as required to meetings and events, take minutes when requested and make necessary preparations;
· To maintain a database regarding training, workshops and activities with SLCG;
· To perform translating duties whenever needed by Mission Advisers;
· Contribute to mission reporting in the area of competence;
· Contribute to the identification of lessons and best practice in the area of competence;
· Take account of gender equality and human rights aspects in the execution of tasks;
· Perform any other tasks assigned by the line manager.
Essentials Qualifications and Experience:
· Successful completion of university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma. The qualification should be in any of the fields of Social Sciences (e.g. Bachelor or Mate exam from a Maritime University, Political Science, International Relations, Law, Economics) or Business Administration/Management;
· After having fulfilled the education requirements, a minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience;
· Good understanding of policies and organisational aspects of maritime administration, maritime security and Coast Guard function.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Internet;
· Excellent communication and analytical skills in both written and spoken English and Somali language;
· Ability to work remotely when needed, being self-organised and to deliver high quality results;
· Ability to prioritize and perform, with limited supervision, multiple tasks in an energetic environment with multiple priorities;
· Flexibility and ability to work effectively under pressure, in difficult circumstances, as well as ability to communicate with personnel at all operational and strategic levels;
· Ability to work methodically, accurately and with attention to details as well as to tight deadlines;
· Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
· Strong sense of confidentiality and discretion in dealing with strategic sensitivities, staff-related matters and financial issues;
· Punctuality, reliability.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· Valid EU category “B” driving license or equivalent;
· Ability to drive vehicles with manual transmission;
· Experience of designing and delivering training;
· Previous work experience with an international organisation, particularly in crisis areas with multinational organisations, ideally in an operational management capacity;
· Seagoing experience;
· Experience from merchant/fishery fleet;
· Organisational, planning and project development skills;
· Knowledge of Arabic language.
· Mandatory requirement to pass security clearances and medical check.
How to apply
Applicants need to satisfy the legal requirements for employment in Somaliland.
Additional information and application form are available at https://www.eucap-som.eu/eucap-jobs/