Experience 8 Years +
Career Category Monitoring & Evaluation
We are International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a global consulting firm working some of the most complex and impactful development problems worldwide. We work on programs that help government agencies, private companies and donors improve the lives of others. At IBTCI you will be part of an inclusive team that provides expert solutions and advice to understand and address critical problems while giving you opportunities to succeed and grow.
Job Title: Monitoring, Research and Learning (MERL) Advisor
Department/Location: Baldoa, Somalia
Reports To: MERL Team Leader
Type: Regular Full-Time
Overview: IBTCI is seeking an experienced Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) advisor for a UNOPS proposal, which will be conducted in Somalia. This position will ensure timely completion of all program deliverables throughout their assigned FMS location in Somalia in compliance with UNOPS and IBTCI quality control protocols. Candidates for this position should be local Somalian candidates only.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for delivering the MERL strategy and embedding a culture of practice-based
learning in target for Mogadishu, Somalia;
- Establish a system of MERL tools and participate in data analysis processes;
- Provide technical assistance and support to the MERL Team Leader;
- Accompany FMS programme teams to capture and document learning and evidence in
real time and to facilitate continual adaption on the basis of that learning;
- Contribute to the design and delivery of the overall MERL approach of SSIP 2;
- Contribute in the development of an adaptive MERL framework and the tools and
systems that support it, building on the monitoring and evaluation needs determined by IPs;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social sciences, statistics, Economics or related field with strong
knowledge of information technology; Master’s prefferred.
- 10 years of relevant experience, at least 5 years of experience in monitoring and
evaluation with an international organization;
- Demonstrated experience conducting MERL programming in Somalia;
- Demonstrated experience in successfully communicating with users to create systems that meet individual and organizational needs;
- Proven ability to work well in small teams with minimal supervision;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strict attention to detail;
- Able to multi-task and problem solve;
- Ability and willingness to work with all levels of the organization.
- Oral and written fluency in English and Somali required;
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working for one of the UN program offices, preferred;
- Knowledge of the Somalia cultural, political and geographical context preferred;
- Experience with the subject-matter of security and access to justice preferred
- Ability and willingness to be mobile and agile at a moment’s notice in case of an emergency require;
- Ability and willingness to work for extended periods in insecure and diverse environments;
- Ability and willingness to safely enter and exit a larger, armored SUV vehicle that is several feet off the ground without assistance, while wearing body armor and/or a heavy flak jacket;
- In case of an emergency situation, must be able and willing to “duck and seek cover”, which may require the individual to exit the vehicle, unaided, and hurriedly seek shelter elsewhere, as needed, in the event of a roadside emergency.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Social sciences, statistics, Economics or related field with strongknowledge of information technology; Master’s preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required and may include travel to fragile and/or conflict-prone zones.
Work Authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in Somalia.
About the Organization:
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education, energy & Infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients’ missions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at TalentAcquisition@ibtci.com (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page).