Experience 8 Years +
Career Category Monitoring & Evaluation
We are International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a global consulting firm working some of the most complex and impactful development problems worldwide. We work on programs that help government agencies, private companies and donors improve the lives of others. At IBTCI you will be part of an inclusive team that provides expert solutions and advice to understand and address critical problems while giving you opportunities to succeed and grow.
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Team Leader
Department/Location: Nairobi, Kenya and Somalia
Reports To: Project Director
Type: Regular Full-Time
Overview: IBTCI is seeking an experienced Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Team Leader for a UNOPS proposal. This position will ensure timely completion of all program deliverables and in compliance with UNOPS and IBTCI quality control protocols. Note that this position will require frequent travels to Somalia.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the technical strategy and effective management of the MERL component; management of the MERL component; management of MERL long-term and short-term staff;
- Ensures a strong relationship between all stakeholders; i.e. donor, subcontractors and Implementing partners;
- Provide ongoing performance and quality management to ensure the delivery against the programme’s MERL strategy;
- Design and deliver SSJP-2’s overall MEL approach, which tests and informs the programme’s understanding of the pathways to change and which informs and facilitates continual adaptation;
- Develop an adaptive MERL Framework and the tools and systems that support it, building on the monitoring and evaluation needs determined by IPs;
- Support Implementation partners to monitor activities, inputs and outputs through a combination of accompaniment, technical assistance and capacity building support;
- Design and deliver a range of process, summative and impact evaluations as well as deepdive, iterative research and analysis to inform the programme’s approach and assess progress towards results;
- Map learning needs across both internal and external audiences;
- Develop and deliver an impactful learning strategy, which synthesizes and effectively communicates (to both internal and external audiences) learning and evidence from across monitoring, evaluation and research activities;
- Facilitate earning and reflection exercises with Implementation Partners to ensure learning and evidence informs planning, design and delivery decisions – both in real time, and at set check-in points;
- May be required to be in-country to perform the essentials duties of this position;
- Manage all fiduciary duties in a responsible and professional manner;
- Travel is essential and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25%-35% travel for project implementation and/or project management duties.Percentages may vary depending on IBTCI business needs;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Social sciences, statistics, Economics or related field with strong knowledge of information technology;
- 15 years of relevant international development experience, with 5 years served in a direct M&E expert role;
- Demonstrated experience conducting MERL programming in Somalia;
- Proven track of successfully managing and implementing MERL projects in Sub-Saharan Africa or another similar geographic, conflict and political context;
- Knowledge of the Somalia cultural, political and geographical context;
- Oral and written fluency in English required;
- Experience with the subject-matter of security and access to justice;
- Demonstrated experience in successfully communicating with users to create systems that meet individual and organizational needs;
- Proven ability to work well in small teams with minimal supervision;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strict attention to detail;
- Able to multi-task and problem solve.
- Ability and willingness to be mobile and agile at a moment’s notice in case of an emergency required.
- Ability and willingness to work for extended periods in insecure and diverse environments.
- Ability and willingness to safely enter and exit a larger, armored SUV vehicle that is several feet off the ground without assistance, while wearing body armor and/or a heavy flak jacket.
- In case of an emergency situation, must be able and willing to “duck and seek cover”, which may require the individual to exit the vehicle, unaided, and hurriedly seek shelter elsewhere, as needed, in the event of a roadside emergency.
Education: Master’s degree in social sciences, business management, international development, economics, political science, public administration or related field required.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: Travel is essential and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25%-35% travel for project implementation and/or project management duties. Percentages may vary depending on IBTCI business needs.
About the Organization:
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education, energy & Infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients’ missions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at TalentAcquisition@ibtci.com (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page).