Experience 5 Years
erm of Reference: Knowledge Management Services
1. Background of assignment
BRCiS (Building Resilient Communities in Somalia) is a humanitarian consortium that promotes a community-led approach to developing capacities to manage and recover from shocks. The programme balances its response to short-term humanitarian needs with the longer-term aim of building community and household capacities to deal with the shocks that drive humanitarian needs in the first place. Its primary mandate is to help marginalized and vulnerable communities in building their own resilience.
BRCiS, through NRC, its lead agency is looking for assistance in developing, editing and formatting knowledge products.
This assignment is split in two lots. These ToRs address the first phase of the assignment. If phase 1 is successful, the consultants will be contract for a second phase.
2. Objectives and Scope of Work
The Consortium wants to bring together and valorize some key sources of information and pieces of evidence in an accessible format that can inform stakeholders and particularly Somali audiences on the progress and learning of the Consortium.
- Community Perspective Papers: this will document the main successes and learning of the project at Federal Member State level. The consultants will analyse and synthetize project documents (CAPs, crisis modifier proposal and plans, reports), evidence stemming from the annual surveys, the beneficiary registration dashboard, the PFIM community conversation and other monitoring data. From this analysis, the consultants will extract the story of the BRCiS project and this specific area and produce an edited document using the BRCiS branding guidelines ready for dissemination. The final products should include data visualization, pictures and diagrams as well as staff or project participant interviews when adequate.
- Illustrated case studies: along with each community perspective paper, the consultants will develop an illustrated case study (2 pager). These will tell the story from a human perspective, starting from the point of view of one of the project participants and tell their story of resilience. The illustrated case studies should capture the essence of the resilience support provided through the BRCiS approach in a simple accessible way. The final deliverables should be a pdf file for each case study.
- The consultants will develop a short communication plan for the different outputs.
In the first phase, the consultants will be expected to develop two community profiles and two case studies. If the template and format are adequate and the collaboration is successful, there will be a second phase in which the same company will be contracted to provide 4 to 5 additional community papers and case studies.
The supervisor of the consultant is the BRCiS CMU Resilience Advisor with the support of BRCiS Programme Manager.
4. Major activities and tasks to be accomplished – Phase 1
Please refer to TOR here
5. Estimated duration of the contract The contract will be for two months from start date.
6. Official travel involved
This is a home-based assignment.
7. Qualifications or specialized knowledge and/or experience required
- An advanced university degree (Master’s) in Quantitative Social Sciences, Economics, Statistics or a directly-related technical field(s) is required — Ph.D. preferred
- At least 8-10 years of experience in M&E for resilience programming or a related field
- Substantial research work in resilience or a related field with a geographical focus on Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably on the drylands of the Horn of Africa
- Extensive experience both in qualitative and quantitative methods, demonstrated through publications in resilience research or a related field
- Proven experience in story-telling, editing, formatting and disseminating knowledge
- Previous experience in similar assignments in Somalia
How to apply
We welcome applications from both individuals, partnerships, and firms with a deadline of August 19th 2021, 12:00 am (East Africa time). Documents should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing ‘*BRCiS* Knowledge Management Consultancy’ in the subject of the email.
Interested candidates are expected to submit a proposal covering the following content:
- Narrative proposal detailing relevant previous experiences along with a brief description on proposed methodological approaches to the deliverables outlined and outline of the story-telling approach.
- Budget proposal and timeline broken down by key milestones and consultancy days
- Proposed team structure and respective CVs
- Samples of previous relevant knowledge products
Only selected candidates will be contacted